Thursday, May 02, 2013

Walking the Labyrinth of Life..

Yesterday, I found the labyrinth.


A labyrinth is an ancient symbol that relates to wholeness. It combines the imagery of the circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path. The Labyrinth represents a journey to our own center and back again out into the world. Labyrinths have long been used as meditation and prayer tools.
A labyrinth is an archetype with which we can have a direct experience. We can walk it. It is a metaphor for life's journey. It is a symbol that creates a sacred space and place and takes us out of our ego to "That Which Is Within."

It had not been a particularly good day for me. We have those days. Those days when life seems a little overwhelming. 

All day the sun fought to be seen between the cloud cover and I spent most of the morning lamenting about the quickly approaching end of my time here. Yesterday, I had sixteen days left. Today, just fifteen days to go.

I decided to get out and take a walk through the wild flower field and continued on into the woods. 



Something beckoned me to turn left, and I did and that's when I found the labyrinth.



My photo doesn't do it justice. From this vantage point it just looks like a bunch of scattered rocks. The aerial view is much more beautiful:


I walked the labyrinth, twice. The prayed and wept through the first journey and when I reached the center I sat down and thought about the CENTER of my life.

I had mixed emotions about where I was and where I thought I should be.

The second journey around the labyrinth was just as emotional, but sadness and despair had been replaced with joy and gratitude.

I returned to the house at around 2:30PM. Read some, wrote some, made a salad for dinner, watched a movie on Netflix and around 7PM, I could no longer keep my eyes open, so I went to bed and slept straight through till 6AM.

Journeying (physical and spiritual) takes a toll on the body.

I've got a number of decisions I need to make. One of which is if I will continue to make New York my home. I've got to tell you... I don't miss the concrete, the noise or the dirt. I do miss the people that I love and care about, but not much else.

Sigh....

As always, I'm working at trying to decipher the voices of my ancestors and guides - trying hard to hear them, way above the cacophony of my own voice, because they've never led me wrong.

One thing that keeps coming up is: Reiki -- now all I need to figure out is: Is this something I should pursue or just take advantage of???

Well, I guess I have to just wait and see on that one.

In any case, I plan to spend a lot of time at the labyrinth.

Have you ever been to one? How did it make you feel?












  • Bernice L. McFadden
  • No comments:

    You Might Also Enjoy

    Related Posts with Thumbnails